Re: Ynt: rowid and create table as...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:50:13 -0400

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:20:39 +0300, you wrote:

>Steffen Ramlow <s.ramlow_at_gmx.de> wrote in message
>> when i do:
>> create table xxx as select empno, ename from emp order by ename;
>>
>> can i be sure that the rows are inserted into xxx ordered by ename and
 that
>> the rowids are ascending?

the data will be inserted ordered meaning that initially (before any other inserts/updates/deletes) data on a given block will be pretty much sorted. All of the A's will be together, the B's and so on.

You cannot make any assumption about the rowid which is a function of the file/block/slot.

We may use file 5 and after running out of room then file 3.

We may use an extent from the end of the file and then the front.

The data will be physically colacated based on ename initially but the rowids should be considered random data.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/ http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/