Re: about Oracle8.1.6 vs Orocle7.3.4

From: A.Liggins <A.Liggins_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:26:39 +0100

Major consideration:-
Oracle will be stopping (actually I think they already have) support for Oracle 7.3.4, so it would be wise to upgrade. I think you should consider going straight to Oracle 8i 8.1.7 as that is the terminal release for 8i and will hence have the most bugfixes. 9i is out already. Oracle Support will still try and fix any existing problems
with 7.3.4 but any new patches to fix a specific bug may not be made anymore...

Possible problems :-

    Make sure you dont have any existing corruptions in your database, a full export should highlight any major problems

    Upgrade to the terminal release of 7.3.4 [7.3.4.5.0 for HP-UX 11, may be different for Solaris) before going to 8i.

    Read the migration manual carefully and practice on a full size copy of your production database if possible.

    Make sure your audit table is truncated     Make sure your system tablespace has enough space (double it?)     It needs more memory (milage will vary)

As to the features, there are loads, too many to really list, have a look at the book Hegyvari recommends.