Re: Load Balancing

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:31:02 +0100

You presumably have HP's clustering software (called something like MC/ServiceGuard if I recall correctly) installed to set the machines up as primary and redundant.

Oracle Parallel Server will work on this configuration. However, under Oracle 8.1, you need to design into the database and/or the application a strong separation of data between the two machines, otherwise the system may spend all its time bouncing data blocks back and forth via the disks. ("pinging" in Oracle speak).

Oracle 9i is supposed to be much better - with a scaling utilisation of 1.8+ for a two-node cluster. But this was on an NT machine using the VIA interface, rather than the more traditional IP protocol that HP would probably use.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

Leon Hall wrote in message <9ga0oj$21lc$1_at_stargate1.inet.it>...

>Dear All,
>
>My company is about to purchase two HP L3000 Class Servers (2 CPUS each)
>configured in a Primary and Redundant server configuration with a FC60 Disk
>Array connected to both Servers through Fibre Channel. The version of
Oracle
>will be Oracle 8 Enterprise Edition.
>
>The HP Representative says the configuration can support Load Balancing by
>installing additional software ("Workload Manager" and "HP Process Resource
>Manager") on both Servers. However, he was quick to point out that Load
>Balancing will only work if Application running on the server supports it.
>
>The Oracle Website suggests that it is possible but "Oracle Parallel
Server"