Re: SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Joe <jspivey_at_cyberdude_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:22:24 -0500

I actually have much more experience with MSSQL Server (V6.5 & V7.0, not 2000) than Oracle. I can't comment too much on license cost, fortunately I don't have to deal with that aspect. I have found that if you do relatively simple straight forward stuff then MSSQL is pretty fast and robust. It does have a lot of quirks. New releases can cause nightmares. There are plenty of bugs, you tend to hit them when doing more 'creative' stuff. MS tries to hide the internals rather than exposing them the way Oracle does with V$ views etc. MSSQL seems easier to install and administer than Oracle, and though I'm still fairly new at Oracle I think I'm being pretty objective there. MSSQL tech support are fairly poor IMO, and they seem to be raising the cost of support way too high!

In summary, if the app is not too large or complex, MSSQL might be a good choice and possibly less cost (for now). For larger apps and large programming teams I think Oracle looks more and more attractive.

Good Luck, Joe