Re: SQL Server vs Oracle

From: Daniel A. Morgan <Daniel.Morgan_at_attws.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:53:55 -0700

scott felten wrote:

> Our company is fustrated by Oracles enormous licensing costs and we
> are looking at SQL Server. What would we loose by going to SQL
> Server? Or what are some links that talk to this subject.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Scott Felten

Just unimportant stuff like

  1. Stability
  2. Scalability
  3. Security
  4. A robust data dictionary
  5. The ability to move to non-Windows operating systems
  6. PL/SQL extensions such as CONNECT BY
  7. Performance
  8. Decent tech support
  9. Superior disaster recovery

But you should also look at this from the standpoint of your personal vested interest. Work with Oracle, have it on your resume, and your income will be substantially higher than if you do the exact same work with SQL Server. This is not trivail.

And you might remind management that the cost of software is a very insignificant percentage of the cost of any system. If they want to save money they should turn their attention to the even larger dollars flowing out under the door with every wasted hour.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Jun 13 2001 - 18:53:55 CDT