Re: Oracle vs Sybase (clarification please)

From: maxeasy <codeasy_at_nospam.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:55:11 -0400

I wouldn't say MS-SQL and Sybase are the same. It was, actually, up until Sybase version 10. But now it's two different things.

I work with both Oracle and Sybase and my experience says the following:

If you want to spend LOTS of money, go for Oracle. IT's powerful, has lots of features and toys,
but needs pretty powerful (expensive) hardware to run on, and be babysited by dedicated DBA.
Same performance level with Sybase, could be reached using LESS powerful hardware,
and no babysitting will be needed at all. This makes me think Oracle had to pay some really "high price" for its features.
Staying still with packed decimal could be one of them.... (Really, go try to change the heart of this monster!!! It's not that easy) .....

"Jon K" <jon.dotonline_at_excitedot.com> wrote in message news:FbQV6.27472$G45.1329398_at_news1.onlynews.com...
> Well, Sybase is a dead issue IMO. Sybase sold the their server to
 Microsft
> for use on NT. MS-SQL Server certainly has a brigher future than Sybase.
> At any rate, they are the same thing, (Sybase and MS-SQl) , and I use
> MS-SQl and Oracle.
>
> The most common complaints:
>
> - Oracle logs *everything*. Yes, yes it does. In SQL, MS decides what to
> log, and if it feels that the transaction is important enough, it will log
> it, or it may not.
> - oracle uses temp tables too much. You mean the user defined, user
> location, user size set temp tables? The ones you individually create for
> each DB, The ones you can't even create in MS-SQl because good ole MS
 takes
> care of that for you - and it SHARES the temp space with all those 32,000
> databases on the server?
> - Only one Oracle DB per server. He mentions this several times, and I
> haveno idea how he came to that conclusion. (?)
> - Oracle can't drop tables/truncate ones that have certain restraints.
 Yes,
> that's why the restraints are put there. Whenever I drop a table in MS-SQL
> think of Windows9x and how you can remove the entire System directory
 while
> the OS is still running. Great feature! Wish Oracle would do that! not
> - Oracle is single threaded? yes, you can stop ONE oracle database at a
> time. SQL forces you to stop ALL DB on the server at the same time! Doh!
> Maybe you should stick to one DB per server for MS-SQL :)
> - the 'not getting SQL results in real time' had me cracking up. You'd
 think
> by the 2000th version, MS would have gotten around to adding the SPOOL
> command. Talk about no feedback during execution, in MS-SQL you can't even
> see what's going on, can't log it, nothing. So far the best replacment is
> run CMD as an external executbale and pipe text to a log file. Pathetic.
> -can't use IF in DDL? Never tried it to be honest. When I use DDL to make
> tables, databases, etc I know precisely what I want, using IF statements,
> how could you control the structure of your database? You can't use RANDOM
> to generate random table names either, what a bummer!
>

> There are some things I like in MS-SQL that aren't part of Sybase SQL
> - isqlw (aka Query analyser) is one of them, it's a very nice tool for
> hacking out SQL. It also steps through your code and tells you where the
> slow parts are, breaks it down (Profiler, MS calls it) very nice and easy.
> - easy backups, jobs, agents and replication. (These things are all easy
> set up, for SIMPLE operations. But when you try to do more diffcult
 things,
> the wizards fail you and your stuck...then you wish you had Oracle...)
>
> Other than that, Oracle is stronger, more detailed, more flexible than
> MS-SQL in virutally every way.
>
> JKL
>

> "Bill Long" <bill_at_longboys.net> wrote in message
> > I came across this link in the sybase group.
> > http://www.talusmusic.com/BrainTools/Pages/DOF.html
> >
> > Could some of you oracle gurus respond to this? I am an intermediate
 Oracle