Re: Oracle vs Sybase (clarification please)

From: Jon K <jon.dotonline_at_excitedot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:39:01 GMT

Well, Sybase is a dead issue IMO. Sybase sold the their server to Microsft for use on NT. MS-SQL Server certainly has a brigher future than Sybase. At any rate, they are the same thing, (Sybase and MS-SQl) , and I use MS-SQl and Oracle.

The most common complaints:

There are some things I like in MS-SQL that aren't part of Sybase SQL - isqlw (aka Query analyser) is one of them, it's a very nice tool for hacking out SQL. It also steps through your code and tells you where the slow parts are, breaks it down (Profiler, MS calls it) very nice and easy. - easy backups, jobs, agents and replication. (These things are all easy to set up, for SIMPLE operations. But when you try to do more diffcult things, the wizards fail you and your stuck...then you wish you had Oracle...)

Other than that, Oracle is stronger, more detailed, more flexible than MS-SQL in virutally every way.

JKL "Bill Long" <bill_at_longboys.net> wrote in message news:3b27909f$1_2_at_news.newzpig.com...
> I came across this link in the sybase group.
> http://www.talusmusic.com/BrainTools/Pages/DOF.html
>
> Could some of you oracle gurus respond to this? I am an intermediate
 Oracle