Re: Is Oracle DBA cerificate useless ?!!!!

From: Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:41:53 -0400

I perceive certification as an enhancement to experience, not a substitute. To my mind, too much emphasis is put on getting a job, getting a better job, getting more pay etc. and little on the value of certification to doing one's present job better, i.e. being a better DBA. My experience with it has been that it has helped me "fill in the blanks" - covering material that even in my vast experience I have not yet encountered or forcing me to learn details that I had skipped over to get a job done. For example, nailing syntax rules instead of "programming by errors" and other information now in my memory which before I had to search for. Completion of other areas at least made me aware of various aspects of Oracle I had not yet encountered; knowledge of some of these aspects saved time when they became relevant later on.

Part of this is in the approach to studying for the tests. Just reading and comprehending enough to "guess" the multiple-choice stuff may get you certified, but for it to be meaningful, try actually implementing the material as you study. This to me is the biggest advantage of working with Oracle as opposed to other RDBMS's I've worked with - being able to run it at home and experiment to one's heart's content without a demo experation etc.

My employer is quite pleased that I'm pursuing certification. They believe it will improve my effectiveness, and it looks good on the corporate resume. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than formal courses etc.

In short, as with most things, it depends on the approach and expectations. While I agree with most that a stand-alone certification as an indication of a DBA's qualification mostly indicates skill in multiple-choice questions (some of them really are bizarre in their wording). Combined with experience, and maybe some well-chosen questions from an interviewer ("what's the OCP?", "what did you hope to gain from certification?"...), it could be helpful in evaluating a candidate. It can also be valuable used as a structured learning tool and as an objective worth achieving in one's present employement.

fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC) Oracle/Sybase DBA
www.Avialantic.com fpierce_at_avialantic.com MAAM Transportation Show Sept. 22-23 2001 www.maam.org/transhow.html World Airshow News - www.wanews.com