Re: Enterprise Console hangs connecting to management server

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:52:35 GMT

Chuck Carson wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:58:49 GMT, Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com> wrote:
>
> >Chuck Carson wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:18:27 GMT, Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am unable to connect. I have completely unistalled the Oracle
> >> client, several reboots, etc.. It simply hangs indefinetely everytime.
> >>
> >> Is this a client side or server side issue?
> >>
> >> -Chuck

> >Metalink docID 140471.1
> >
> > fact: Sun SPARC Solaris 2.8
> > fact: Oracle Enterprise Manager 2.2
> > fact: OEM Console on Windows NT
> > symptom: Console hangs after providing login info
> > symptom: Connecting standalone to database
> > symptom: Can connect via sqlplus
> > symptom: tnsnames.ora file has host defined with ip address
> > cause: DNS is not configured correctly
> >
> >fix:
> >
> >Connect to the database with a JDBC
> >connection.
> >1. From DBA Studio front page, highlight the target database
> >2. From the File drop down menu, select Remove Database From Tree
> >3. From File drop down menu, select Add Database To Tree
> >4. Select Add a Database Manually
> >5. Enter the JDBC connect information, Hostname, Port Number, SID,
> >using the
> >ip address for the Hostname field.
>
> This solution did not work either. I removed all databases and even
> tried connecting with no databases defined. Both Enterprise Console
> and DBAStudio both hang when trying to login to the management server.
>
> Someone has to have seen this before, I have a very standard
> configuration. My cheap ass CEO will no pay for Oracle support so I
> can't call them.
>
> Once again, client side is a Win2000, which is now SP2, management
> server 2.2 re-installed, full client install of Oracle 8.1.7.0.0.
>
> Thanks again for any help,
> CC

I don't have the management server running, but DBA Studio gives you the opportunity to either connect to a management server or run standalone. I would try the standalone.

Before connecting to the database, use the network assistant to establish
a tnsnames entry on your client machine. This gives you the opportunity to test the connection. Once everything is OK, close the network assistant.

Open up DBA studio and under the "File:Add Database to Tree" select a database from your local tnsnames.ora, and click OK.

Hopefully this will work for you.

-Dirk Received on Wed Jun 13 2001 - 12:52:35 CDT