Re: Looking for Recommendation on Backup Software that works well with Oracle in Hot Backup Mode

From: wayne <no_at_email.please.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2001 18:08:33 GMT

After MUCH trial and a lot of error, we settled on writing scripts to do hot backups to disk, and then backing up those backups to tape.

Every backup software must do two things successfully if it is to make a good Oracle backup: 1) Backup open files (not usually a problem), and 2) have an agent to communicate to Oracle and run the right commands for hot backups.

No software that we tested did these two things correctly to provide a reliable, usable backup. Also, since the agent was installed and the agent was version-dependent on Oracle, the stupid backup agent ended up dictating what version of Oracle we could run.

The errors and costraints were too much for backing up Oracle straight to tape. Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:08:33 CDT