Query Help

From: Arun Solleti <asolleti_at_grad.csee.usf.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:10:01 -0700

Hi
I wanted some help in writing a query whose description is as below

Table Name - tableone
Its Columns
COL1 COL2 RESULT USER DATE

A                B                    PASS            abc
06/11/2001 07:15:12
A                B                    FAIL             abc
06/11/2001 11:05:04
A                B                    BLOCK        abc        06/11/2001
18:01:22
AA             BB                  FAIL             bcd
06/11/2001 02:11:22
AA             BB                  FAIL             bcd
06/11/2001 06:06:03
AA             BB                  PASS            abc        06/11/2001
10:11:00

I want to run a query grouping by COL1, & COL2 and get the MAX(DATE), and i also want to retrieve corresponding RESULT value for that row. So i have return the followin :

QUERY

select COL1, COL2, to_char(max(DATE), 'mm/dd/yyyy hh:mi:ss') from tableone group by COL1, COL2 ;

which gives me what i want as follows but it is missin the RESULT Column

COL1 COL2 DATE

A                B               06/11/2001 18:01:22
AA             BB             06/11/2001 10:11:00

How can i get RESULT COLUMN into the above result because if i add RESULT to my select statment then it is not in the GROUP BY and sql give an error and i do not want to add RESULT in group by because i want just COL1 and COL2 to group by with.

Thanks for Suggestions
Arun Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 22:10:01 CDT