Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:42:41 +0100

<pm3iinc_at_attglobal.net> wrote in message news:3B254577.26F4B4C3_at_attglobal.net...
> My first comment is about
> "our sole role if we are doing our jobs is to deliver
> the performance that the business requires from
> the particular platform that we look after"
>
> Our first role is to provide a solution to a business need.
> That solution must asnwer the business question in an accurate manner.
> Answering fast is nice but is not the first thing you have to look at.
> With the speed of today's hardware, anybody can produce
> millions of wrong answers per second.
> You ask any CEO/XXO :
> 'do you want THE answer the faster way or do you want any answer as long
 as it's
> fast'
> i bet they'll want to get the right answer. When you can get the right
 answer
> only then
> you work on getting it the fastest possible way

Fair comment. I must admit I was speaking from the viewpoint of a production dba in ths context. The responsibility for getting the system working accurately rests primarily in the design and development phase. Also and just as a by the way if you ask any CEO/CFO etc ifthey can accurately measure their companies performance they will if they are honest say no, we can just give a best guess. Hell most (large) companies don't even know how many people they employ

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA