Re: Any Oracle9i Enterprise Edition success?

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:30:26 GMT

Mike wrote:

> I've downloaded Oracle9i Enterprise Edition for Solaris, and here's what
> I've experienced:
>
> - 3 CDs are required. I NFS-shared them so that they're accessible from the
> database server.
> - The database server is an antique Sparc Ultra-1.
> - It takes over 3 hours (!) to install the software. If I had a more modern
> machine, things would be easier.
> - The installer croaked while linking the "oracle" executable. After some
> digging, I found that more swap space was required. Not a problem.
> - Got all the software running OK. Went to SQL*Plus and did a connect as
> sysdba. (Yes, INTERNAL has finally been put out of its misery). A STARTUP
> NOMOUNT results in hang.
> - Investigating (with "truss"), I found a single background process in what
> appeared to be a perma wait state. I don't remember all the gory details at
> this time, but yes I can reproduce the error.
>
> Yes, I know that folks on the bleeding edge sometimes get cut...and I
> shouldn't be surprised with version 9.0.1. Has anyone out there got 9iEE up
> & running?
>
> -Mike
> (to reply: longtermmemoryloss at hotmail dot com)

I got my 9i install to work fine. When I created the DB though, with dbca, I
wanted to save to a script so I could use raw partitions, but the option didn't exist yet (the "help" button say it will be there). I got everything
going and tried to install our software against the database and got the big
ORA-0600 error with our jdbc connection - sigh.

Your troubles may come from not installing all the patches that the release
notes suggest. With Solaris 8, I put MU_4 on the machine and the latest Recommended patch. The release note and quick install instructions say you'll
need to install two other patches (108434-01 and 108435-01). They also have a
table that has lists for previous and other OSs. I also found a note that
required a bumping up of two values in /etc/system:(semmsl and semmns) which
have changed minimums from previous Oracle versions.

-Dirk Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 14:30:26 CDT