Re: Is Oracle DBA cerificate useless ?!!!!

From: John Jones <john.jones_at_duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:03:21 -0400

I have to jump back into this. I am certified in Oracle 7 and 8. I was orginally an Oracle Developer with a little DBA work. Did that for 3 years, and then I did 2 1/2 years of straight DBA work. I started working for a Consulting company that required me to get certified so they could bill more for me. Remember I had done 5 1/2 years in Oracle before taking the test. The test were really easy for me since I had the experience. I have changed jobs again and my new employer said the certification was ok, but what he was really looking at was the experience, now a total of 9 years.

My point in all of this. Certifications can help some, but what MOST employers want is the real world experience. If you have two people with the same amount of experience and one of them has the certification, then that person will win out. Just don't feel that just because you get certified, that you will get that high paying job right away. That is the problem here, people see that DBA's usually make good money, so why not just get certified and make that money too. It takes time and effort, not just certification to get there.

--
John Jones
Senior Oracle DBA