Is Oracle DBA cerificate useless ?!!!!

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:31:45 +0100

Sam,

I've got OCP in O7 and O8 - I had to get it for my job as a 'DBA' here in the software house that I work in. They paid for the training etc - which is always nice.

Problems :
Since getting certified in DBA, backup & recovery, SQL & PL/SQL and Tuning, I've used only about 2% of what I learned - and will probably never use the rest, at least in this job. Our databases are transient, so tuning etc is not required, they are not OFA complient, designed (if I can use such a word !) badly, and when anything goes wrong, we simply restore from the CD backup of the original data.
That's why I tend to lurk around and have a look at peoples BSTAT/ESTAT reports when they post them here - just to keep my hand in. It's quite depressing, and it's also why *I* don't consider myself to be a DBA even when my company sig does !

I'd be brutally honest with any prospective employer (anyone in Australia want a pseudo DBA ?) about my abilities and experience, but I do try to keep my hand in by giving myself tasks to do - such as tuning, etc on the databases I have to 'look after'.

In summary, if you get the chance to get certified, go for it. I don't think you have anything to lose by obtaining it, and it might get you somewhere - but nowhere near as far a proper experience will.

HTH. Norman.