Re: Is Oracle DBA cerificate useless ?!!!!

From: Tom Grenier <tom_at_sqlman.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:16:11 -0700

I have a couple of Informix certifications – and have worked with Informix for the last decade and a half – I have been working with Oracle for only a couple of years. I think what I will say is relevant – but I want you to know my experience with certification is in the Informix arena.

I took the tests mostly because I had the time and thought it would be fun. It did round out my knowledge – there were areas I had never used (and never have since) but I think I’m a stronger DBA because I know they are available should I ever need them.

But, as far as gaining employment, all that certification will do that is positive is may be get you in the door (recruiters and HR departments seem to like them). And perhaps one other place – I currently work at a biotech – they like to put it down in your records for when the FDA auditors come in and look at personnel training.

However, as far as actually gaining employment, I think they are absolutely useless, and perhaps even hurt a little. I have never found anyone that can and does hire DBAs that takes certification at any value at all (including me), and I have met some managers that actually mark it slightly against you (I think they are afraid that you can talk the talk, but can’t walk the walk).

However, if you are trying for an entry level position it may help. I have no experience with this – I have never seen an entry level DBA. In my experience DBAs seem to be initially either a programmer or system administrator that is interested in DBA work and working at a company that can’t find a DBA (or can’t afford one) and the programmer or system administrator just kind-of steps into the job.

Tom