Re: Is Oracle DBA cerificate useless ?!!!!

From: Mick Rice <mickricenet_at_netscape.net>
Date: 12 Jun 2001 01:14:55 -0700

Sybrand and other miss the point entirely, and I suspect deliberately. DBA certification is not intended, as far as I understand it, to prove that the holder can be a DBA for all seasons. It's intended to prove that the holder has a good grasp of the fundamental technicalities that are involved in the safe and efficient running of an Oracle Database. As I've posted here before, certification is also meant to show a certain willingness on the part of the holder to go through a learning process. No qualification, at whatever level you might care to mention, can give a guarantee to an employer about the other miriad of personal qualities that go to making up a good DBA. At least if an employer sees a candidate with certification they can to some degree be satisfied that the person is familiar with the technical details and satisfy themselves about candidates other qualities. Judging by some of the tetchy, cranky and rude replies posted to this group on a regular basis there seem to be plenty of DBA's around and 'surviving' who are far from a perfect fit for the job ! Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 03:14:55 CDT