Re: System config suggestions

From: rob <rob_at_dsdelft.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:18:08 +0200

> I don't know about that one.
> Unisys makes a 32 CPU wintel box that *just might* be able to handle IIS
> and Oracle in the same box.
> 512 MB per CPU minimum is a decent rule of thumb.

Wouldn't you prefer to buy 2 different systems if you'r investing that kind of money? Ofcourse, 32 CPU's will probably handle the workload but I don't think that's what they had in mind. And when adding more power because your having performance problems with the database; only part of it will be used by the database. My experience is that you save yourself a lot of trouble when using a database server only as a database server.

> Ok - seriously - unless you have a Site License - you're probably paying
> oracle by the UPU - univesral power unit.
> For the cost of a 2nd 1 GB CPU in power units - you can more than afford
> another high-end Intel-based box.
> Standard Edition retails at $15 per UPU - or $15,000 for a 1 GHz CPU.
> A manager can understand that.

Very strong argument indeed; eventualy it will be cheaper. ;-)

Rob. Received on Tue Jun 12 2001 - 02:18:08 CDT