Re: Store Long raw

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:00:03 +1000

"Paul Drake" <paled_at_home.com> wrote in message news:3B25B76B.6ED932B1_at_home.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > Longs and Long Raws are stored 'inline' with the rest of the data.
 Hence
> > there is no way (that I know of, anyway) to store them separate from the
> > rest of the data. That's one of the reasons why anyone developing a new
> > application these days would be certifiable if they opted for Long Raws
 over
> > BLOBs (BLOBs are only stored inline if they are smaller than 4K,
 otherwise
> > they are automatically out-of-lined).
> >
> > I guess you could use boring old relational techniques to store the Long
 Raw
> > column in a separate table, linked back to the main data via one foreign
 key
> > column. That's about all I can see you doing, though.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
>
> Howard,
>
> how about if we're a bit adventurous and store the rowid of the LONG in
> the child table in the parent table.

As cunning as a professor of cunning at Oxford University.

> in this fashion, the access to the LONG or LONG_RAW does not mean having
> an indexed lookup into the other table.

True.

> yes, the rowid will be stale after an export/import, but since the
> associative table has the same PK as the parent table, a little utility
> could re-populate the stale rowids after an import.

Also true.

> it ain't pretty - but its not bad if you're currently stuck with
> non-LOBs - like if your front-end tool doesn't support them.
> (row_migration enabled could defeat this).

I agree. I also agree that quite a lot could conceivably defeat this! But yes, as a workaround for fast access to split longs, and given the inability to migrate to LOBs, it's got a lot going for it. I wish I'd thought of it (but then I went to the Other Place, not Oxford -and no, I don't mean Hull Polytechnic).

Regards
HJR
> Paul
>

> > =============================!!=============================
> > The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle
> > Corporation
> > =============================!!=============================
> >
> > "Roland Carlsson" <roland.c_at_swetravel.se> wrote in message
> > > Hi!
> > > I have a table with a long raw column. I want to locate this column on
> > > another disk and tablespace because the files uses a lot of space. But
 can
> > > only find how to do with blob and (unless I'm doing something wrong) I
> > > doesn't work the same way???
> > >
> > > I'd appricate some suggestion where to look or even better an example
 of
 how