Re: Store Long raw

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:34:25 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Longs and Long Raws are stored 'inline' with the rest of the data. Hence
> there is no way (that I know of, anyway) to store them separate from the
> rest of the data. That's one of the reasons why anyone developing a new
> application these days would be certifiable if they opted for Long Raws over
> BLOBs (BLOBs are only stored inline if they are smaller than 4K, otherwise
> they are automatically out-of-lined).
>
> I guess you could use boring old relational techniques to store the Long Raw
> column in a separate table, linked back to the main data via one foreign key
> column. That's about all I can see you doing, though.
>
> Regards
> HJR
> --

Howard,

how about if we're a bit adventurous and store the rowid of the LONG in the child table in the parent table.
in this fashion, the access to the LONG or LONG_RAW does not mean having an indexed lookup into the other table.
yes, the rowid will be stale after an export/import, but since the associative table has the same PK as the parent table, a little utility could re-populate the stale rowids after an import.

it ain't pretty - but its not bad if you're currently stuck with non-LOBs - like if your front-end tool doesn't support them. (row_migration enabled could defeat this).

Paul