Re: Strange results when describing X$ table

From: FredJ <fred.johnson_at_bmwfin.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2001 23:56:58 -0700

Samantha Hall <samanthahall_at_qwest.net> wrote in message news:<3B251577.86C2C642_at_qwest.net>...
> It may be related to the fact that the X$ tables are not TRUE tables as
> such. A lot of them are direct mappings to memory structures that Oracle
> uses. This one x$kcbwds is keeping track of the current working sets within
> the buffer cache. You only normally query these tables, if at all, as the
> SYS user, and don't think I'd recommend letting any other user access them.
>
> I'm not sure why you would be missing the column though.
>
> Regards,
> Samantha

Many thanks,

The application is Spotlight On Oracle from Quest software and is part of their setup when the application is first connected to a database. The setup creates various views based on system objects on order to obtain statistics for it's performance display. Curiously the two database that are failing to generate the views are both 8.1.7.1.2, although ther are other successful connections to databases ate the same patch set. When you take a look at the underlying definitio of x$kcbwds, it seems to link back to itself.
Very confusing.

Best regards

Fred J