Re: 32-bit Oracle Server on 64-bit Solaris?

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:36:58 -0500

it is not at all unusual for releases and patches to be available first in 32-bit, and for the port to 64-bit to lag behind.

the only reason i would have for migrating to a 64-bit release of oracle would be to support an SGA of over 2GB (the maximum allowed with 32-bit oracle). following oracle's sizing recommendations, that would require a minimum of 4GB of RAM on the database server.

there is no significant difference in performance between the 32-bit and 64-bit oracle releases. the difference is the maximum allowed size of the SGA.

the two-legged dog analogy is comical, but way off target.

HTH "Knut E. Meidal" <plsdontsend_at_any.mail> wrote in message news:P71V6.1612$QX5.33636_at_news1.oke.nextra.no...
> My company is running a 64-bit version of Oracle 8.1.6.1 on 64-bit
 Solaris7.