Re: recommended raid level for 8i?

From: Michael Brown <mbrown_at_glenraven.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:27:00 GMT

In a development environment, you can probably get away with a mix. Unless you are sure about your I/O demands putting write intensive data on RAID 5 can cause serious performance problems. However, if you seperate out rollback, redo and temp to 0+1, most of the rest of the database can probably do fine in RAID 5.

One thing, make sure your stripe depth is set to be an integer multiple (usually 1 or 2) of db_file_multiblock_read_count * db_block_size. Otherwise you can have a negative impact on concurrency (it is better to let two processes access 2 spindles than to speed up one process by letting it access 2 spindles concurrently).

Mike