Re: recommended raid level for 8i?

From: John Theunis <john.theunis_at_advalvas.be>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:16:54 +0200

hi,

If you are the DBA, I would say: never settle for raid 5 because it is 'cheaper' and the 'overhead is minimal'
Sure managers want fast, good & cheap things, preferebly all at the same, but in the end, when performance goes down because raid5 just can't handle 'those one or two exceptional quick & dirty queries' which genereate huge rollback, redologs, data & index segment I/O, they will again come knocking on the dba's door...

What 's the cost of a 10k scsi drive these day anyway?

kind regards
john