migrating from DB2/2 to Oracle 8.1.7

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:13:25 GMT

We have an application currently running against a DB2/2 (OS/2 -- predecessor to DB2-UDB) database. One phase of a 3-phase upgrade will be to convert the database to Oracle 8.1.7 running on NT4. The major data concern will be the handling of dates and times -- converting columns defined as DB2's DATE and TIME and TIMESTAMP types to Oracle's single DATE type.

We had a system go through this a couple of years ago and the application programmers handled the conversion themselves, writing programs to extract and reformat the data from DB2/2 and write to a flat extract file, then read that file and insert into empty Oracle tables. Obviously, we'd like to find a pre-packaged utility to do this. Does anyone know of any such creature? I've done some poking around on Oracle's web site and couldn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it's not there . . .

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)