Re: Store Long raw

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:55:07 +1000

Longs and Long Raws are stored 'inline' with the rest of the data. Hence there is no way (that I know of, anyway) to store them separate from the rest of the data. That's one of the reasons why anyone developing a new application these days would be certifiable if they opted for Long Raws over BLOBs (BLOBs are only stored inline if they are smaller than 4K, otherwise they are automatically out-of-lined).

I guess you could use boring old relational techniques to store the Long Raw column in a separate table, linked back to the main data via one foreign key column. That's about all I can see you doing, though.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle