Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Srini Venigalla <sriniv_at_netsetgo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:03:55 GMT

That was exactly my original point.

Oracle does not support the principle of Orthogonality in the purest sense. They break the rule every now and then, and then bail out saying, well, we support it through some other feature. It makes me wonder whether the Oracle SQL compiler designers ever knew the concept of orthogonolaity. Microsoft and Syabase are worse. Their implementation of subqueries is a joke.

You learn SQL only once. And use it only one way. You do not wait till the next release to use a feature that should have been delivered using Orthogonality.

Well, Orthogonality is the best kept secret of the SQL implementation. It would save companies such as Microsoft and Oracle tons of money (by not having to support multiple custom features).

Finally, Mark, Blair's BOM query is way too cool compared to the connect by feature. Yes it does descend to all children of all levels. The other two examples in the BOM trio are also very cool.

Cheers.