Re: Windows 2000 install problem

From: Rick Robinson <rick_at_oyarsa.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:08:42 GMT

FYI.... Doc ID: Note:131299.1
Subject: Oracle Installer 8.1.X Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4 Processors Type: ALERT
 Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
Creation Date: 02-JAN-2001
Last Revision Date: 14-MAY-2001

This alert was modified 14-May-2001 by modifying the vesions affected section to a generic RDBMS version and adding a simplified workaround.

This alert was modified 16-January-2001 by specifying specific Oracle Universal
Installer Versions in the the Versions Affected section.

Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) for RDBMS 8.1.x Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4 Processors

Versions Affected

Oracle Universal Installer for RDBMS 8.1.x

Platforms Affected

Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT will encounter this problem. Windows NT, Windows 2000 and NetWare platforms are confirmed to be affected.

Description

When installing Oracle *8.1.x Server Products with the Oracle Universal Installer on machines that use the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT, the installer
hangs.

Specifically for the Windows platform, versions of OUI lower than 1.7.1.9.0 will encounter this problem.

Likelihood of Occurrence

Any platform that uses the Intel Pentium 4 processor, with the Sun JRE and Symmantec JIT, OUI version 1.7.1.9.0 and earlier, will encounter this problem.

Windows NT, Windows 2000 and NetWare platforms are confirmed to be affected.

Possible Symptoms

The failure typically is that the affected application simply terminates.

Workarounds

Solution 1.
  1. Obtain patch number 1507768 from Metalink
  2. unzip the patch
  3. unjar the contents
  4. Go to the directory
       .\cd\Disk1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30/1\DataFiles\Expan
               ded\jre\win32\bin\symcjit.dll

       rename symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.ori

5. Invoke OUI and install OUI to disk

      cd ./cd/Disk1/stage/win32/setup.exe

6. Use the installed OUI to install the RDBMS

7. Invoke OUI from the start menu, and install RDBMS software.

Solution 2.

  1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
  2. Copy the contents of the Oracle REBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
  3. Search the directory structure created in step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
  4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
  5. Run the setup.exe from the \install\win32 directory and install Oracle 8.1.x.

Patches

Currently there is not a patched installer available to deal with this problem, one of the two workarounds listed above must be used.