Re: Urgent: Oracle 8 parallel server on VMS 7

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 10 Jun 2001 19:20:37 -0700

In article <3B23B0A1.D5478D8B_at_bellsouth.net>,   Michael Austin <miaustin_at_bellsouth.net> writes:

> Personally, if I were going to run an Oracle database on OpenVMS it would not be Oracle Classic, but
> Oracle Rdb.

   If

    a.) We could afford it ( ie if there was an Rdb "standard edition" price )

    b.) 3rd party tools supported it better ( SQL*Net for Rdb helps, but I had a number of odd problems with it where it would just hang and I had to restart the SQL Server to get it going again ).

   then we probably would run Rdb instead of Oracle "classic". As it is we can't affort the support prices for Rdb and are working on eliminating the few remaining places we need it.

   Oracle obviously believes Rdb is only for customers with deep pockets and sufficient technical resources to work around the glitches that invariably seem to occur when running PeeCee tools against it. Received on Sun Jun 10 2001 - 21:20:37 CDT