Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Blair Kenneth Adamache <adamache_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:47:27 -0400

Oracle submissions dominated SQL92, partly by being heavily involved in the test suites. With SQL99, we submitted the OO features we shipped in 1995 (on DB2 for Windows, AIX, Solaris, HP, etc.) and over 80% of IBM's submissions were accepted. It seems that the company that invests the most in a particular iteration of the standard has the most influence. This is reasonable I think.

"IBM's recent foray into the RDBMS market outside of mainframes" started in 1988, and reached Unix in 1993.