Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:42:31 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:36:52 -0400, Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>SQL99 came out prior to Oracle 9i and thus prior to a lot of Oracle's OO functions,
>last I heard. SQL99 was finalized in the timeframe when DB2 V5.2 came out (three
>years ago) with it's OO extentions. I don't remember when Orcale 8i shipped, but I
>doubt it was earlier than that.

Serge, OO stuff has been in ORACLE since V8.0. That version came out nearly 6 years ago. You have to learn a bit more about ORACLE's history before you can claim it had or had not features before/after another product.

IIRC, the first relational OO stuff came out with Sybase, many moons ago. ORACLE caught up in V8.0. That was all the rage back then. It fizzled about two years ago when everybody realized relational OO was nice, but not essential. Still darn useful when needed!

>With dominating I mean number of accepted standards proposals. This means that IBM
>either cares more and/or brings more acceptable proposals forward.
>That the standard looks a lot like DB2's SQL Ref is a function of standard's work
>in parallel to development or at least educated extentions by DB2 that have a fat
>chance of being standardized in futere versions of SQL.

Hey, I don't have a prob with standards. Welcome them, in fact. Long overdue. If anything, IBM's recent foray into the RDBMS market outside of mainframes will do a lot for their enforcement. I'm all for it!

Have a look at the 9i OO stuff. In detail. Very impressive!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Sun Jun 10 2001 - 08:42:31 CDT