Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:36:52 -0400

Hi Nuno,

SQL99 came out prior to Oracle 9i and thus prior to a lot of Oracle's OO functions, last I heard. SQL99 was finalized in the timeframe when DB2 V5.2 came out (three years ago) with it's OO extentions. I don't remember when Orcale 8i shipped, but I doubt it was earlier than that.
With dominating I mean number of accepted standards proposals. This means that IBM either cares more and/or brings more acceptable proposals forward. That the standard looks a lot like DB2's SQL Ref is a function of standard's work in parallel to development or at least educated extentions by DB2 that have a fat chance of being standardized in futere versions of SQL.

Cheers
Serge Received on Sun Jun 10 2001 - 06:36:52 CDT