Re: Question About Oracle Users

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:34:57 +0800

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:56:27 GMT, "Giorgos Tsiamitas" <gtsiam_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Please allow me to interrupt here. If we've created 50,000 Oracle user
>> accounts in the database, isn't it better to integrate them with the
>> OS user accounts? Otherwise, we will have one more set of 50,000
>> accounts in the IT virtual community, in addition to Windows NT
>> domain, Lotus Notes, Unix's, etc..
>
>Yes, using OS authentication for Oracle users would improve manageability.
>
>> However, if we do integrate them
>> with the OS user accounts, can we integrate the OS user groups as
>> well? Imagin there are 100 branches worldwide, 10 departments per
>> branch, and 50 employees per department. Just curious how you are
>> doing this? Any headaches you are suffering from?
>
>It's not clear to me why should you need this kind of integration. Could you
>provide an example?
>
>Regards,
>Giorgos

In a company, users are usually grouped by departments, taskforces, sponsors, etc.. this kind of groupings are integrated into most of the authentication systems because they are the way the business works. Typically, Windows NT domain and Lotus Notes applications are among them, Oracle applications will probably need these groupings too.

For example, if the Oracle adopts Windows NT domain authentication, it inherits the user-id's and passwords of Windows NT domain. If some application functions are specific to marketing users, and the grouping already exists in Windows NT domain, we cannot adopt that grouping, but have to assign the marketing users role to individual users. 50,000 users can mean hundreds of groupings, this can become a big job, let alone the synchronization between Windows NT domain and Oracle groupings/role-granted users. I am not advocating any good solutions here, just to raise the issue and hope to see helpful advices.

Dino Received on Sun Jun 10 2001 - 20:34:57 CDT