Re: Q: Setting up multiple databases - same name

From: Leonard F Clark <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:57:00 GMT

Daniel's reply is a perfectly reaonable approach - and one we used on a project we're just finishing. Just to spell it out:

Just to cover all options, you _can_ do it through multiple schemas if the development is all client-based. In this approach, each instance has a _different_ name but, when you set up the TNSNAMES on the clients, give the THS Alias the same name on each client machine.

Having said that, I prefer Daniel's approach: less resource intensive and easier to manage.

However, you still have to plan it. In particular, you also have to ask:

how are we going to manage system test, large volume test, pre-production test etc;

how are we configuring the final production database and does that have any implication for the test environment?

Len