Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 20:19:31 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Blair Kenneth Adamache <adamache_at_ca.ibm.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 14:10:50 -0400, you wrote:

>Does Oracle have recursive SQL?

see, here is where terminology will kill us all. Yes, Oracle has recursive sql -- thats what we call SQL executed on behalf of other SQL (eg: the sql the database executes to parse and optimize your query is recursive sql).

We have hierarchical queries -- which is what I believe you are refering to by recursive sql.

>Chris Date (speaking in general about computer
>science, not relational technology) said somewhere that anything without
>recursion is no good. DB2 has recursive SQL. It's very powerful for bill of
>materials, and near-insolvable problems like the traveling salesman. Mind you,
>you still have to bound the traveling salesman problem, or it is truly
>insolvable.

For many many years Oracle has had that particular feature, yes

scott_at_ORA8I.WORLD> select lpad(' ',(level-1)*2,' ') || ename ename   2 from emp
  3 start with mgr is null
  4 connect by prior empno = mgr;

ENAME

KING
  JONES
    SCOTT
      ADAMS
    FORD
      SMITH
  BLAKE
    ALLEN
    WARD
    MARTIN
    TURNER
    JAMES
  CLARK
    MILLER 14 rows selected.

a single feature/function -- not really relevant in the grand scheme of things.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/ http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/