Re: sqlplus

From: Johan den Boer <jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 15:37:25 +0200

See the messages below.

I think you really do not understand that most people are not interressted in windows
software like TOAD but are still using terminals. The sqlplus program has many disadvantages.
Maybe you should listen more to your users what they really want. 90 % of the users only
want to look at the data in the database and are not interrested in the extra features
of sqlplus.

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:ti3fe15tvk108b_at_beta-news.demon.nl...

> "Johan den Boer" <jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > If you want an alternative program for the oracle sqlplus program have a
> > look at
> >
> > http://home.hccnet.nl/jj.den.boer/
> >

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Johan den Boer
> > email : jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl
> >

> I'm getting mightily annoyed by this one.
> First of all: this post contains an inappropiate subject, as it doesn't
> contain a question about sqlplus, but instead it is marketing a sql*plus
> replacement. Hence, it belongs to .marketplace and it should be considered
> spam in all the other Oracle related newsgroups.

Ok, you are right. I posted it in this newsgroup too.

> Secondly: I don't know what's wrong with sql*plus, or your mind has been
> crippled by using GUI-interfaces. IMO it is damn arrogant to think you
 can
> do better than sql*plus, especially it looks like this program didn't
> implement any sql*plus features like substitution variables, breaks,
> computes and the like.

It is not a GUI interface but text based. Most people still have normal terminals
especially in the unix environment.
Why you want sqlplus features. Most people only want to look at the data.

> If you want to make a replacement, better get to *know* sql*plus
>
> Thirdly: there a much better tools like TOAD and Sql*navigator, and those
> can be downloaded from the web, while this tool can't and is available for
> Unix platforms only.

TOAD is a great tool but works only on windows platforms. There are still many
users which don't use windows.

> IMO sql*plus is still quite adequate for many purposes, and you still
 should
> use it to *really learn Oracle* Many GUI-based programs have undesirable
> defaults and make people lazy.
> I admit you need to read the sql*plus manual to learn it, and I know most
> people rather like to hack away.

I read the sqlplus manual. That's why I write my own sql monitor !!!!