Re: sqlplus

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 08:12:14 +0200

"Johan den Boer" <jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:9fs9l6$na4$1_at_news.hccnet.nl...
> Hello,
>
> If you want an alternative program for the oracle sqlplus program have a
> look at
>
> http://home.hccnet.nl/jj.den.boer/
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Johan den Boer
> email : jj.den.boer_at_hccnet.nl

I'm getting mightily annoyed by this one. First of all: this post contains an inappropiate subject, as it doesn't contain a question about sqlplus, but instead it is marketing a sql*plus replacement. Hence, it belongs to .marketplace and it should be considered spam in all the other Oracle related newsgroups.

Secondly: I don't know what's wrong with sql*plus, or your mind has been crippled by using GUI-interfaces. IMO it is damn arrogant to think you can do better than sql*plus, especially it looks like this program didn't implement any sql*plus features like substitution variables, breaks, computes and the like.

If you want to make a replacement, better get to *know* sql*plus

Thirdly: there a much better tools like TOAD and Sql*navigator, and those can be downloaded from the web, while this tool can't and is available for Unix platforms only.

IMO sql*plus is still quite adequate for many purposes, and you still should use it to *really learn Oracle* Many GUI-based programs have undesirable defaults and make people lazy.
I admit you need to read the sql*plus manual to learn it, and I know most people rather like to hack away.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Jun 09 2001 - 01:12:14 CDT