Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:22:13 +0100

"Robert Dean" <noemail_at_hatespam.spam> wrote in message news:3B210F90.75CE07_at_hatespam.spam...
> This is in the same way that Java was supposed to kill off VB, C++,
> COBOL, and everything else under the fiery orb at the focus of our
> solar system, right?
>

> Niall Litchfield wrote:
> >
> > but c# will kill off java <vvbg>

Let me put my post another way

Macs are better than PC's
Unix is better than Windows
Assembler is better than C
The future is .net
The future is the network appliance
All businesses will be e-business
EMC is better than veritas
compaq is better than dell
black is better than white
venus is better than mars.

or yet a third way

vvbg = very very big grin.

<rant>

one of the things that really really pisses me off is the tendency of techies to attach ourselves religiously to operating systems,databases,programming languages,hardware platforms. Our sole role if we are doing our jobs is to deliver the performance that the business requires from the particular platform that we look after. This means "A tool is assessed against the job for which it will be put to use, and not on a feature comparison with its competitors". {Niall's first law} and also "every tool has its place, so don't slag it off in case you need support for it sometime" {Niall's corollary}.

</rant>

therefore as I said in my somewhat more serious post (and to return somewhat surprisingly to the topic) . assess both db2 and oracle against the task in hand.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA