Oracle8i - Node name and ghost imaging!

From: Trevor Bell <trevor.bell_at_powertec.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:44:53 +0100

I am trying to install Oracle 8i onto a workstation. This computer is to be used for taking an image for putting on all the computers in the office. The problem that I have is that Oracle8i automatically takes the computer name as the node name. Once this has happened I can find no way of changing the node name. I am also unable to change the computer name because if I do I can't start the Oracle services because of the name conflicts. Does anyone know how to change either the default of computer name being taken, or how to change the computer name after the install or the node after install so that imaging software an be used. Otherwise all the computers will have the same name and the same node and hence their host will be the same making it impossible to change the tnsnames file to log onto another computers database.

--

Trevor
POWERtec Systems and Consultancy Ltd