Re: Question About Oracle Users

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:45:52 +0100

Nuno,

Interesting you mention roles.

The only problem I have come across (and I can't compete with TK on number of users) is where APPLICATION code has decided to use data dictionary views to check the database roles that a user has - and use them to decide on which bits of application functionality are allowed.

The drawback to this is that roles are in the same table as users, and finding 20 roles out of 10,000 users through the data dictionary views results in some very expensive and peculiar execution plans.

It comes back to a discussion you were in a while back about optimizer_mode and data dictionary views. It is my opinion that application code should NEVER use data_dictionary views - views are things that you design as part of an application.

The views designed for one application (e.g. the application for managing the database) are not guaranteed to be efficient for use in another application (e.g. the end-user application).

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html