Re: Should a temporary segment disappear after 125 minutes?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2001 14:18:43 -0700

Thanks. The "something obvious" I missed is the words later in the article "Temporary segments in proper TEMPORARY tablespaces (a new feature for v7.3) are supposed to exist for the lifetime of the instance to cut down the number of recursive transactions on the data dictionary."

It's still strange "oradebug wakeup [SMON ID]" doesn't work for either Oracle 8.0.5 (Solaris) or 8.1.7 (NT). (I didn't check it in Oracle 7.3). ALTER TABLESPACE set its PCTINCREASE to 0 works.

BTW, what's the meaning of your word "accidents" in the first paragraph? You probably meant the "ephemeral" temporary segments that exist in permanent tablespace while the index is being created?

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com