Re: Online backup: Backup online redologs?

From: Ravi Sista <rsista_at_ford.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:33:14 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> "Charles Fisher" <Charles.Fisher_at_alcoa.com> wrote in message
> > p.s. You are also wrong in saying "The absolute way of ensuring the
> > current redo log is safe to copy is, of course, to shut the
> > database down completely: now it's cold, and of course the copy
> > results will be consistent." - If the database was brought down
> > with a shutdown abort, the active online redolog will NOT be
> > consistent.
> >

> Once again, you demonstrate your well-honed inability to understand a word
> I've been saying to you. The issue is what a pickle a dumb operating system
> and file system makes of copying a hot file. *That's* the inconsistency
> that I worry about, because it's that inconsistency that prevents the
> subsequent use of the copy. A redo log, copied with the database down, will
> be consistent, and I don't care HOW you shut the database down. The copy of
> that file can be used in a recovery, and all will be well.
>
> And I demo as much every Backup and Recovery course.
>
> End of discussion.
>
> HJR
Thank you both. You have now managed to totally confuse me <g> (Just kidding. I always find your posts highly enlightening, Howard). Anyway, I normally do a 'shutdown abort', 'startup', 'shutdown' and *then* do the cold backup. Why? I don't know. Just gives me that warm/safe feeling, I guess :-)

PS : I tend to agree with Howard on this one. I don't think the way you shut the database down matters (as long as it is down, when you started the cold backup) when it comes to the validity of your cold backups. Any one else with an opinion on this one? Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,
Ravi Sista