Re: feature & performance comparison

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:14:44 -0700

swp wrote:

> I am posting this to both the Oracle and DB2 newsgroups in the hopes
> that I will get a better set of answers.
>
> I would like to see a comparison of features that are in Oracle 9i and
> the latest version of DB2. I have heard that DB2 is blowing Oracle
> away right now, at least until the middle/end of summer. [I can't
> remember where I read that review.] An objective comparison by an
> independent third party would be best, of course. Or if anyone out
> there has already done one for themselves that would be appreciated as
> well. Just a comparison of the features, not what they can or should
> be used to do or when or under what circumstances ~ that leads to
> individual opinion creeping in too much.
>
> I would also like a performance comparison of the two. How they stack
> on up similar machines with similar user loads across a wide variety
> of platforms. I am sure that someone has already done this, perhaps
> the Gartner Group, but I cannot find an honest "apples to apples"
> comparison anywhere.
>
> TIA,
>
> swp

Without fear of contradiction I can tell you that people that know Oracle think DB/2 is the lesser of the two. And people that know DB/2 have a different opinion. You will learn nothing of value asking the questions you asked.

Nor given that both are very strong products will you find significant differences in performance, security, stability, and the other things that matter.

Where you will find significant differences are in regional usage, compensation, and job availability.

If you want to learn something to earn a merit badge it matters not which one you learn. But if the idea is to get a job and get paid then let dice.com and your local classified ads answer the question as to which one is best.

I chose Oracle for the above reason and for one more that is equally important. The availability of training materials. Go to amazon.com and look up books that will teach you DB/2. Find any? Now do the same for Oracle.

Software is a tool. I use the tool that has the greatest payoff (every payday).

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu Jun 07 2001 - 19:14:44 CDT