Help with Oracle Intermedia Text indexing

From: Rob Walling <rwalling_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2001 15:00:04 -0700

I've been working on this all day and finally got it functioning, so I wanted to share it with the group. I was trying to do a full text index on a column and kept getting:

create index iindex_name on table_name(column_name) indextype is ctxsys.context
*
ERROR at line 1:

ORA-29855: error occurred in the execution of ODCIINDEXCREATE routine
ORA-20000: interMedia Text error:
DRG-50704: Net8 listener is not running or cannot start external
procedures
ORA-28575: unable to open RPC connection to external procedure agent
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.DRUE", line 126
ORA-06512: at "CTXSYS.TEXTINDEXMETHODS", line 54
ORA-06512: at line 1

My solution was to:

Add the following code between listings in the tnsnames.ora file on my client box:

extproc_connection_data =

         (DESCRIPTION =
            (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = ipc)
                       (KEY = DBSID))
            (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = PLSExtProc))
          )

WHERE DBSID is the SID of the database you want to make the index on.

And make the top of the listener.ora on Oracle Server look like:

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION =

    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = *keep your hostname*)(PORT = 1521))

    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = DBSID))   )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =

    (SID_DESC =

      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /home/oracleinst/OraHome1) (or the oracle home
directory)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
      (ENVS = LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/oracleinst/OraHome1/ctx/lib)
    )

WHERE DBSID is the SID of the database you want to make the index on. The main lines to add are the address line which indlues the protocol = IPC, and the whole SID_LIST section. There's also helpful Oracle docs available at:

http://technet.oracle.com/products/intermedia/

Best of Luck! Hope this helps. Received on Thu Jun 07 2001 - 17:00:04 CDT