Re: select statement to remote database use rollback seg.

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2001 06:02:56 -0700

"Robert Yeh" <robert.yeh_at_qwest.com> wrote in message news:<9fm61d$3dd$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>...
> Does anyone know why does a select statement that involve a remote database
> use rollback segment? What is stored in the rollback segment? Does the
> rollback segment keep growing after the creation?
>
> Thanks

Yes, if you read between the lines in the Distributed manual Oracle tells you that all remote SQL takes an entry in rbs for two-phase commit processsing. You should issue a commit after the select to a remote instance in query only applications to release it, otherwise, when it comes time for the rbs segment to wrap around and reuse the extent it will be busy and the segment will extend. It is very possible, if you system has several permanently present jobs that issue remote queries, to end up consuming all available rbs segments extents up to maxextents and for the ever expanding segments to consume all available space in the tablespace. You might guess I learned this fact the hard way.