Re: Creating Database instance

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:35:39 +1000

Not entirely certain you know precisely what you are doing, but I'll give it a whirl, on the grounds that it may be just my misunderstanding of what you write...

  1. I think you've shutdown database A and copied all datafiles and redo logs to machine B
  2. You've copied the initA.ora and edited it to be an initB.ora
  3. You now want to clone the controlfile from A to B.

If so, then in A, issue the command 'alter database backup controlfile to trace'. Find your A's background_dump_dest, and in there will be the resulting trace file. Find it, and transfer it to machine B.

Now on machine B, edit the tracefile. Strip out the rubbish at the top so that the first line reads 'startup nomount'. Now add a line that reads 'connect / as sysdba' (or however you ordinarily connect as a privileged User)
Then add to the 'startup nomount' line the words 'pfile=<path and filename of the initB.ora>

Fire up Server Manager (or SQLPlus if you insist). Then type @nameoftracefilehere.

That should cause the trace script to run, create the required controlfiles wherever initB.ora is requesting them, and open the database.

If all that fails, you may want to re-think how you clone a database, and I can help you with that if you mail me.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle