Re: How to bypass referential integrity

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:34:13 +0100

I'm going to plead a lot of ignorance and wave my hands around a lot here, but:

Cold Fusion is one of those web server engines that talks to Oracle, so the dialogue path is:

User -> Cold Fusion -> Oracle -> Cold Fusion -> User

Since the whole web thing is stateless, doesn't Cold Fusion assume it will never hear from the client again after the end of one dialogue, and as such shouldn't the connection from Cold Fusion to Oracle be cleared down (but obviously not broken because of the overhead of connecting).

Some of the web-servers do this with a
commit/rollback and a call to the
'reset all package states' procedure (whose name I can't remember).

If Cold Fusion does something similar, then you can define and Global Temporary Tables as 'on commit release rows'. (In fact, the call to reset packages would not be needed for this specific purpose). On the other hand, if the data has to be available for another "oh what a nice surprise you came back"
visit from the same client, then the data should be stored in a permanent table with a cookie-based marker, as the client could come in on a completely different session anyway (assuming Cold Fusion opens a
connection pool, rather than just one
connection).

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html