Re: Strange Segment called 6.2 in TEMP

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:09:39 +0100

Temporary segment doesn't contain tables - it holds interrim results between sorting, joining etc (unless you are into creating "global temporary tables" of course).

Also, this segment will disappear when you shut the database down, and when you bring it up again (and someone needs to sort on disk), it will be recreated. If your next question is "why is it almost filled the tablespace?", the answer is that it's supposed to be that way.

"Alex Filonov" <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net> wrote in message news:3B1DAB89.CCBDCF50_at_pro-ns.net...
> Bernie wrote:
>
> > I have been watching our 7.3 Oracle database and for the last few days,
 the
> > TEMP tablespace has been consumed by a large temporary segment named
 6.2.

> > Does anyone know what this is and if it really should be there? I would
 have
> > thought a temporary segment would be temporary rather than hanging
 around for
> > over 2 days?
> >
> > The out put of
> > SELECT SEGMENT_NAME,OWNER,BYTEs, SEGMENT_TYPE FROM DBA_SEGMENTS WHERE
> > TABLESPACE_NAME='TEMP'
> > /
> >
> > is
> > SEGMENT_NAME OWNER BYTES