Re: Thread 1 cannot allocate new log

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:42:47 +1000

Size will not cure this problem.

You are cycling around your groups too quickly. If you increase the size of the logs, then yes, you will slow down the rate at which you checkpoint. But each checkpoint will (other things being equal) also have more work to do. Expect the two effects to cancel out to a small or negligible overall benefit.

The cure is more redo log groups. That way, you can be switching onto logs 4, 5, 6, 7 and so on, whilst the checkpoint completes on Log 1. Hopefully, by the time you get up to log 8 or 9, Log 1 will have been dealt with, and you'll be able to switch back into it without a problem.

HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle