Re: Extent sizes in LMT

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:12:42 -0400

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I was hoping to find a way to resize the extents without taking the table out of commission. It's a 10g table and I don't have another 10g of space to move it to. Here's an idea I had. Tell me if you think it's feasible. I want to convert the existing table into a range partitioned table based on a column that contains the date/time that the row was created. All old rows go into partition 1 (the original table). All new rows go into partition 2, which resides in a tablespace with larger extents. Can this be done with "alter table exchange..." command?

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:991683337.5324.0.nnrp-14.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> It sounds to me as if you really need to do
> two things with that table - In the short
> term, move it to a tablespace with a larger
> uniform extent size. In the longer (short)
> term, figure out how to partition it.
>
> How about a dbms_job that runs every
> night to 'allocate extents' and tries to
> keep 100MB of free space above the
> HWM ? A couple of nights after the
> job failed because the tablespace was
> full, your report would kick in and report
> the problem.
>
> --
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> Publishers: Addison-Wesley
>
> Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html
>

> Chuck Hamilton wrote in message

 <9fgc8d$3r188$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de>...
> >In a locally managed tablespace with uniformly sized extents, is there
 any
> >way to specify a next extent size for objects in the tablesapce?
> >
> >Why would I want to do this? I have a nightly script that reports on
 objects
> >that will fail to allocate their next extent. I want the extents to be
 large
> >enough so that I get a week of advance warning before failure occurs.
 One